Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Day in DC part II

So here it is. The new day. The dawn.

I'm sure you are wondering how we were able to get a picture of such beauty. One filled with hope and anticipation. Well, there is one easy answer. You get up real freakin' early...

Our day started at 3:30 in the morning. Real Freakin' early right? We wanted top make sure to get to the train the minute it started running, which was 4:00am. Also known as real freakin' early. There were a plethora of people on the train. But we got to our spot and we were in line by 4:30 for our section, the silver section. They call it silver to make you feel better about being in the last section. But hey, we had tickets!! Alot of people we met the day before did not.


So we stood in line, and then in a security spot and then in a gated section and then another gated section and then our final section for 6 hours before anything happened. And when you are waiting in the cold for hours, with no real food, and everyone wanting to see the same thing, a lot of people start to act crazy. LOTS!! There were people trampling each other, trampling the disabled, I saw (and yelled) and people trampling this guy that needed medical attention!! This is where I started to wonder if I paid a lot of money just to put me and my friend Anna in harm's way. But in the end people settled down before it started and we had a pretty good show.YAY ZOOM LENS!!! We were right after the reflecting pool by the capital, which comes in handy for later!! At this point everyone starts calming down and making camp. People are joking, laughing, being excited. I was pouting because I got behind someone who was 6'4". I offered him 10 bucks to let me be in front of him, and he let me for free!! Thank God!! Because it would have been an awful morning if he hadn't.

When the events started it kind of seemed like a fairy tale. Before I knew it I was thinking about all the doors I knocked on, all the miles I've driven, all the phone calls I made, and standing before everything that I had so personally strived for; it all seemed worth it. This day wasn't about who was right or wrong. Who lost or who won, or whose party was better. It was about a new beginning. A better future for my Dad, and for my family. It was about a better life for all. It was....peace....

And right after Obama's Speech that peace was broken by more Peoples' crazy actions! Before we knew it, people were pushing us forward, trying to get closer to the action. The Disabled were trying to get out of the way while Anna and I got pushed closer and closer to the barricade. It was then I made a decision: Do I stay here with the crazy pushy mob? Or do I jump the barricade and go skating on the reflection pool? I picked option B, Jumped over the barricade, and onto the frozen waters of the reflection pool. It was frozen solid and I was free from all the chaotic danger of the crowd. Anna followed behind me. It wasn't an easy climb. since we has stood for 8 hours our legs forget what it was like to bend. But we made it.

I have video footage of people skating around on the ice to get away and also just enjoying the happiness of the day. Once My computer is unbroken I'll be sure to get it up here. People Skating with Joy, hope, and nervous that it might be illegal. I am so glad we were able to get out here to see it.

Wow....

0 comments: