Monday, April 20, 2009

Knock, Knock...Whose There?


The Bolder Bolder...

And here we go. 35 days until the Bolder Boulder. And I am freakin' terrified.

Why Lindsay, you've ran it before?

This is true. But before I ran it with a lot more training and discipline. I have not had that this time around. Work, weather, and traveling have all gotten in the way this year. How do you stay committed to working out when a teen calls in the middle of the night, or you're on the road? Or 12 inches of snow happens fall outside in the middle of April? Twice?

Either way it has been a challenge. I don't know how strong I will be by the big race. But I am still fairly confident that I can beat my old time, you see, I have a secret. This time, I am going to run it with shoes!!

That's right. Funny story. The first time I ran the Bolder Boulder was without shoes. Bare foot. What happened was I started running the race and felt some discomfort on my toes. I didn't think anything of it because I had trained in these shoes many times. But by the time 1k was over my feet were screaming. I ripped off my shoes as saw quarter sized blisters on each pinky toe. I couldn't even get my shoes back on.

Alright, Lindsay, time to make a decision. I could either give up the race, throwing away months of training. OR I could try to run it barefoot. So that ladies and gentlemen is what I did.

Needless to say I was slower. I had to make pit stops to let my bare babies take a rest. At one point I found a lady on the side of the race giving out band-aids. So I took ten and wrapped them around each of my toes! In the end I made it, and I made it in under 2 hours.

So now that I have the secret weapon of SHOES; now I just need the muscles to go along with them. They are coming along. I am able to run pretty far without stopping, close to two miles. But I will not feel truly confident until I can run 4 miles straight.

Well, it's too late to back out now.

0 comments: